Tuesday, April 3

All over it!


I’ve been all about it recently, I have blisters the size of peanuts and my arms ache from the swinging but I’m loving it! Even the mistakes are fun, I’m still making the same ones, the simple beat from the first song we all learnt is still giving me some jip, but, I’ve made progress with the second song and learnt a new beat (Don, toka, Kon, kato).

Last week I went outside to practice at school, it was an office day and I was bored of making lesson plans. I started practicing and had been hitting a smashed up wooden barrel for about 20 minutes when a lad rounded the corner and started playing alongside me. I didn’t recognise him, but that wasn’t suprising as it was the last day of school for many of the teachers and a lot of old students had come back to say their goodbyes. He was really good and played a beat really fast that crossed hands and used two drums.

He complimented my playing and I told him that I was part of the Saito Matsuri drumming team, we played for about 10 minutes more and then 5 of my students came around the corner. I had seen this lot playing before and Ryuji, the graduate student, told the rest that I played taiko.

After that we spent about two hours trading beats and playing together. The students asked me to play with them in October at the culture festival, I agreed. I also agreed to practice with them every day during the spring break and every Mon,Wed and Thursday during the term.

I have a performance on Sunday with the Saito team, I think that I will just be playing the one song whilst Pat and Amanda play two songs. It’s all good.

2 comments:

  1. You know what? The Middle East place was closed!

    i think I absolutely ballsed up my arm climbing the other week, it still isn`t better. Good work on the drumming! I found out I have 18 days of nenkyu left still, so I`ve been at home reading and cooking, it was fun. Now I am back at my desk and feeling entirely uninspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took nenkyu (paid holiday) to stay at home and cook...?

    Buddy, you're in Japan, maybe you time could have been better spent?

    Have you seen the Sakura? Fricking Amazing right? I've got a performance on Sunday, you and Anna are welcome to come down Saturday night or Sunday morning.

    It's at Saitobaru, check out my latest flickr picks to see what Saito's very own overgrown graveyard is looking like these days.

    ReplyDelete

Label Cloud

London (66) Just Plain Silly (46) Yak (43) Photos (40) Photography (39) Rant (35) Photo (34) Video (33) people (24) photoshop (22) Poetry (20) Portrait (20) Review (16) film (16) England (15) Travel (15) Music (11) Photowalk (10) 5adaychallenge (6) Bestival (6) Festival (6) art (6) movies (6) 43Things.com (5) Japanese (5) Night (5) School (5) Street (5) UK (5) trailer (5) Black andamp; White (4) Cathedral (4) Costume (4) Greenwich (4) Love (4) Norfolk (4) Tattoo Convention (4) WDPS (4) Winter (4) Woman (4) America (3) Animals (3) Autumn (3) Bow Creek (3) Canterbury (3) Charlie Clempson (3) Hipstamatic (3) Performance (3) Photographic Assignments (3) Snow (3) Summer (3) flowers (3) iphone (3) religion (3) whitstable (3) Abstract (2) Beach (2) Bird (2) Carnival (2) Cats (2) Comics (2) Dancing (2) Fireworks (2) Flickr (2) Ganes (2) Hats (2) Leytonstone (2) Mirror (2) Monochrome (2) New Year (2) Notting Hill (2) Sculptures (2) Sky (2) Soho (2) South Bank (2) Tattoos (2) Toy (2) Trinity Buoy Wharf (2) Westminster (2) Wildlife (2) blog (2) camera (2) cars (2) forwards (2) nature (2) party (2) postcards (2) seaside (2) sport (2) spring (2) 620 Film (1) 90's (1) A-Team (1) Acrobatics (1) Aerosol (1) Airport (1) Alcohol (1) Anne Rice (1) Antique (1) Batman (1) Bicycles (1) Bokeh (1) Book Cover (1) Box (1) Boy George (1) Bridge (1) Bristol (1) Brixton (1) Brownie (1) Bull (1) Cake (1) Calm (1) Camden (1) Challenge (1) Chinese (1) Christmas (1) Church (1) City (1) Colour (1) Covent Garden (1) Crowds (1) DLR (1) Daruma (1) David Twohy (1) Diptych (1) Dog (1) Dulwich (1) Epic Fail (1) Eric Radomski (1) Erotic Book Store (1) Exotic (1) Fatboy Slim (1) Fire (1) Fire Eater (1) Flame (1) Foreign Policy (1) Fox (1) Fruit (1) GRass (1) Gallery (1) Gayla Partridge (1) Glasses (1) Goat (1) Gosh (1) Graffiti (1) Gull (1) HMS (1) Hands (1) Hawk-Eye (1) Hearts (1) Heron Quay (1) Heygate (1) Horse (1) Hot Chip (1) ICA (1) James Bond (1) John McTiernan (1) Kanye West (1) Katherine Green (1) Landscape (1) Leaves (1) Links (1) Lomo (1) Mac (1) Markets (1) Meetups (1) Michael Hoffman (1) Mobile Phone (1) Monkey (1) Niels Arden Oplev (1) Nuts (1) Orange (1) PC (1) PS3 (1) Panoramic (1) Patrick Cox (1) Pepsi (1) Rain (1) Reflections (1) Ropes (1) Science Museum (1) Security (1) Self-Pity (1) Sex (1) Shine (1) Spotify (1) Squirrels (1) Stain Glass (1) Stations (1) Steve Gordon (1) Steven Spielberg (1) Street Fighter (1) Summer Sonic (1) Sunset (1) Sunshine (1) Swords (1) TV (1) Taiko (1) Technology (1) Thames (1) The Last Shadow Puppets (1) The O2 (1) The Wachowski Brothers (1) Top 5 (1) Towers (1) Toys (1) Umbrella (1) Union Jack (1) Wellies (1) White (1) Window (1) Winner (1) Words (1) Youtube (1) anime (1) atheism (1) bikes (1) cartoon (1) cheese (1) cityPGame (1) comedy (1) dance (1) desk (1) doctor who (1) dreadlocks (1) email (1) fredericfontenoy.com (1) hair (1) hip-hop (1) huts (1) kites (1) lecture (1) memorial (1) nudes (1) parrot (1) piece (1) portraits (1) royal (1) running (1) sakura (1) shoes (1) square (1) symbols (1) symetry (1) tezuka osamu (1) the future (1) thoughts (1) transsexual (1) vide (1) wedding (1)